Sunday, March 14, 2010

Reflections on WPPI Things...






What a blessing I was given to be able to attend WPPI! My husband rocks for being so eager to watch our three boys and hold down the fort to get me there. (Sidebar...I think, nope, I know my husband is a much better housekeeper than I am. I call him "Mr. Mom". We won't talk about the perfect condition of the house in my absence, it still hurts to think about it. Seriously, can't he just fake that he needs me around??) And Kathy Ray rocks for braving the job of being my roommate! It is so hard to put into words everything that I experienced in such a short few days, but here's a little glimpse...
There were so many wonderful photographers that came and shared their hearts and their business. Some more business than heart, and others more heart than business. The first session I went to was Audrey Woulard. And I said to my friend, Dee Lucas, that if I get nothing out of the rest of the convention, that session was worth it! And that was only the beginning. Audrey shared how she got started, much like I have, although I didn't drop my camera and find my shooting style:) LOL!

I listened to Kirk Voclain and while I don't like his sexy style of shooting seniors, he has a great personality and really knows the biz! I was very inspired by his presentation and it lit a fire within and has really given me an extra boost of confidence. He shared a picture of his first studio that I tried to find. It was in a trailer with sign that read, "Senior Portraits, with a touch of class". How funny is that???

Finally we get to my last session and most memorable. Although, had it been the first session, it would've stood out in my mind regardless. It was Lifestyle Baby taught by Amber Holritz. And while I call myself a "lifestyle" photographer, she really defined this for me. She made me realize that what I offer my clients isn't just a photograph that shows what their son or daughter looks like at age 2. I'm showing you how you are a family with your son at age 2. How you loved, played, laughed, rocked, sang, and snuggled with your daughter. If you want a picture to remind you of what your baby girl looked like, you can go almost anywhere or to anyone it seems like anymore... But if you want to show your 25 year old grown-up son how you were together as a family~then you come to me. That's what a lifestyle photographer is. That's what I do. I take portraits that show what life was like for you when...So that someday when you look back on them with your children you will remember what it felt like to hold your baby girl in your arms. How he smelled when you kissed his chubby cheeks. And how they gazed at you like you are the most amazing thing they had ever seen. That's lifestyle photography. That's what I'm offering.




2 comments:

  1. If nothing else, I can't wait for you to capture the absolute love I have between me and Davin. Through all of this really emotional crap, I just feel so blessed to have him here with me. I don't know what I'd do without him. I'm dedicating my attention to him and I just can't wait for you to capture the smiles and tears on this big journey for us.

    Thanks for being such an amazing friend- in such a short amount of time I feel so blessed to have you in my life. I hope that between the two of us, we can rock this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to do this session for you too! It really is my heart and have gotten a really positive response. I'm ready to rock this:)

    ReplyDelete